Tuesday, July 8, 2008

High Crime Rate

One of the times we visited out here, Pastor Brad talked about how Philly was one of the most "depressed" cities in the United States. They came up with the most depressed cities by looking at crime rates and poverty and other stuff like that. Detroit was pretty high up on the list too...

I never thought much of it until today when I watch a whole news cast out here. During the hour, about 15 minutes were spent on commercials, about 5 minutes on weather, about another 5 on traffic and then the rest of the time on news. 95% of the news was about crime - murders, robberies, drive by's, fires, and so on. It's crazy. Most of the events they were talking about took place in Philly, which is a huge city with lots of people and lots of poverty and such... but still! That's so much crime. I always thought there was a lot in Grand Rapids, but that's nothing compared to Philly!

Disclaimer: We live in a safe area - don't worry about us:)

No comments: